This week’s blog is all about celebrating ‘cows’ with June being National Dairy Month. But not just any cows, but Tennessee cows and not just Tennessee cows but a local family dairy where 1824 General Store gets their milk for their customers; Hatcher Family Dairy.
I don’t know about you but I like ‘fun facts’ so here’s some on Tenn cows:
- 270 dairy farms in Tenn
- ~148 milking cows per farm
- ~40,000 milk cows in Tenn
- ~2,015 gallons of milk are produced annually per cow
- Tenn cows produce 80.6 million gallons of milk per year
Now that you know the scoop on Tenn cows – I want to tell you specifically about Hatcher Family Dairy.
- It’s family run… duh! (Hatcher Family Dairy) They have been supplying milk to our store for several months now.
- They are located in College Grove.
- Their land has been farmed for 5 consecutive generations since 1831. That in itself is pretty amazing.
- Hatcher milk is the ONLY brand we carry in our store and is sought after by many in the region.
- They are really great to work with!!
You may be asking yourself, “What is so special about Hatcher milk?” Well, lots according to their website and their many satisfied customers.
- Their milk is all natural which means they don’t add anything artificial to their whole milk, 2% or skim milk.
- All their milk is produced only from their cows.
- A Hatcher is involved in every aspect of the operation from feeding the cows, to milking the cows, to processing the milk, to transporting the milk, to the marketing of the milk, to the managing of the store.
- The cows primary source of forage is grass.
- No cows are given artificial bovine growth hormone, recombinant bovine somatotropin (rBST).
- The milk is NOT raw. (It is illegal to sell raw milk (retail) in the state of Tennessee for human consumption.)
- The whole milk is pasteurized not homogenized. That means the cream rises to the top just the way it should naturally.
They also have the reputation for the ‘best’ chocolate milk around. People come in our store specifically for the chocolate milk; grab a pint or a half gallon next time you’re in. I guarantee you will be hooked on it.
We always have a selection of Hatcher dairy products in our store. But if you want to be sure to get what you want on a weekly basis – we offer a service to our customers that ensures they will have farm fresh milk every week and the quantity and type they want. You can message us on Facebook @1824generalstore or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Friday at noon with what you want and we will have it the following Thursday ready for you to pick up in our store. 🙂
If you want to get up close and personal with the Hatcher cows, they offer farm tours. That would be a fun family outing with the kiddos. We are so fortunate to offer farm fresh, local, Made in Tenn dairy products to our customers. If you haven’t tried Hatcher’s milk yet – I invite you to come on in and check it out.
Until next time 🙂 Angela